Remember - blog posts migrate downward, so the most recent post is at the top; the oldest at the bottom.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Parking Lot

I've gotten a number of calls and e-mails regarding the planned parking lot at the top of East St., where Bugbee Rd. and Meadowbrook Lane intersect it. The vacant lots on that corner, on either side of Meadowbrook Lane, have been bulldozed and graded recently, in preparation for what the owner hopes will be a lot for long-term parking for 300+ student cars.

Everyone who contacted me had concerns about the project, concerns that I share. Many questions are unanswered: questions about foot traffic crossing East St. and traveling through neighborhoods, security, lighting, runoff (and many other environmental concerns), increased traffic, and others.

I went to City Hall to talk with Robert Chiappisi, city Code Enforcement Officer, last week. Many factors make this a complex issue. The land is part in the City, and part in the Town, which (usually but not always) means that the County gets involved. The project has been given a preliminary variance, but each step requires approval, and Mr. Chiappisi, who will be making the decisions about those approvals, has grave concerns about the project as well.

I'll be at the Meadows for a committee meeting on Friday, and I'll stop in at the County Planning Department office and see if I can learn anything more about how this all works, and what's in store for that neighborhood. I'll let you know what I learn, here at the weblog. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment