Remember - blog posts migrate downward, so the most recent post is at the top; the oldest at the bottom.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Eating and partying

It's nice to be home.

The storms that swept through the northeast yesterday delayed me, and made the last 80 miles or so of the trip a grueling challenge, so I haven't gotten re-organized yet.  The notes are still in the suitcase.

In talking with Abbey, a few interesting non-political aspects of the convention experience came up.

I had heard about the non-stop partying that goes on at conventions, and I was curious to see whether that was true.  Not so I could attend; for me, a party is a noisy place where you wander around for a while not being able to hear anybody, and then you leave.  But - is this true at all?  Is party networking the whole point of conventions?

Not that I could determine.  Or maybe it is, for the cognoscenti, but not for the average delegate. I received notice of two parties, the reception I wrote about on the first night, and another one on Wednesday night, hosted by the mid-Atlantic state delegations, after the general session.  "After the general session" on Wednesday meant after 1AM, as that was the night of the roll call vote.  No thanks.

So - I'm sure there were other get-togethers, but I didn't hear about them, before or after.  Evenings were pretty full.

When I arrived in Charlotte, I had no idea of where I would eat throughout the week.  However, I had heard enough about the endless food and drink at conventions that I thought I 'd try to get through the week without paying for any meal.  It worked, but not really well.

My hotel had a hot breakfast, so that was a start.  As it turned out, there was a sit-down, good-china breakfast each day in that tent I described earlier, at another of the NY delegation hotels.  So far so good.  There was a hospitality room at that same hotel, with hot food and drink all afternoon and evening.  But that didn't help much, because I was at the caucuses and general sessions in the afternoon and evenings.

So lunch/dinner resembled our family's traditional traveling lunches:  a bagel or two wrapped up from breakfast, stashed in the backpack.  There weren't many places to get something to eat in downtown Charlotte; in 'the bubble,' where vehicles were prohibited, many stores and restaurants were closed.  There was a small food court in the Convention Center, and that was it.  Where did everyone else eat?

More soon, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment