Remember - blog posts migrate downward, so the most recent post is at the top; the oldest at the bottom.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tuesday morning

I've got some time before the Rural Council, and the general session - on the convention floor! - starts right after that.

Since this is the first day of the general session, it was the first day our credentials said "Floor Delegate."  I know all about how conventions have become less about doing the work of the party and more about campaigning, with the delegates relegated, for the most part, to the role of audience.  I don't care.  Putting that badge in my credential holder today was a profoundly moving experience.  I was here, in the wheels of democracy, personally part of over two hundred years of history.  I was participating, in an intense and  formal way, in America.  It was the same feeling, and for the same reason, that I had when I was sworn in as a County Representative in January.

On the bus back from downtown (actually, they call it 'uptown') yesterday, I sat next to Mike, a financial analyst who works for San Bernadino County in California, east of LA.  He spoke with a south Asian accent, and had a great sense of humor:  he showed me pictures he had had taken of himself at the podium of the caucus he attended just as it was breaking up; he pretended he was speaking.  He said, "A picture doesn't lie, does it?  I spoke at the convention!"  Anyway, Mike said he had had a conversation with a journalist who  attended the Republican convention as well.  The journalist was amazed at the diversity at the convention here in Charlotte.  "In Tampa," he said, "everyone was white.  And there were no families."  Here in Charlotte, it's like America.  Given that Caucasians will cease being in the majority in America soon (in demographic time), I'm glad I'm here and not in Tampa.

Mike also told me that the County Supervisors in his county make over $200,000 a year in salaries and benefits.  I looked it up, and it's true.  Kind of puts things in perspective.

I mentioned that the bus drivers were from all over (Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia), and that's also true of the police, who are everywhere, often in large groups, often on motorcycles or bicycles.  All very friendly, and very vigilant.  I saw uniformed officers from Chicago, Louisville KY, Virginia, and other places I can't remember.  I also saw a Secret Service agent; I knew that because his Kevlar vest said "Secret Service" on it, and he had one of those ear things.  Helicopters hover high above the city.  And the President isn't even here yet.

Michelle Obama, among others, will be speaking tonight.  I don't think I'm going to comment much about the main floor speeches, since everyone will have the opportunity to see them, but who knows.  I've got to go finish drying out everything I had on or with me yesterday.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment