Remember - blog posts migrate downward, so the most recent post is at the top; the oldest at the bottom.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Democracy at Foothills

 An enormous number of us came out to have fun on Wednesday night - the Foothills main stage auditorium seats over 600, and they were bringing in more chairs by the dozen. 

I spoke early, and then left to attend the Schreibman/Gibson debate at SUCO (which is a different story), so I can't tell you how it went after that .  The Star has summarized things.  Here's my testimony:

Good evening.  My name is Gary Koutnik, and I am a member of the Otsego County Board of Representatives.  I represent the 11th District, just a stone's throw from here, and I would like to thank you for scheduling a hearing here in Otsego County.

I represent an urban, residential area - the First and Second Wards in the City of Oneonta.  We're unlikely to have a pipeline routed through our district, and we're unlikely to find a drilling pad appear in someone's backyard.  But last fall, when I visited every house in my district and spoke withmany of my constituents, I found a large majority who had grave concerns about the methane industry coming to Otsego County.  And as a County Representative, I must act in the best interests of the County as a whole, as well.

This is a hearing about the Constitution Pipeline, I know, not about fracking per se.  However, it would be dangerous to dismiss the argument that they are closely linked.  You need look no further than a Williams press release, dated March of the year, in which Alan Armstrong, the CEO, said this about the pipeline:

Our goal is to be the leading gathering, processing and transportation solution provider for producers in the Marcellus Shale.

We're putting together the kind of infrastructure that makes drilling in the Marcellus even more desirable for producers because we provide large-scale infrastructure solutions that connect producers' natural gas and natural gas liquids to the best markets.

We cannot separate the pipeline and fracking in the Southern Tier and the northern Catskills.  Others have spoken, and will speak, about this natural connection, in more detail.  However, throughout it all, please remember the freely-expressed, public intent of the pipeline company, when you listen to those who tell us there is no connection.  The evidence suggests that this position is either naive or disingenuous. 

Thank you again for scheduling a hearing in Otsego County.
So democracy progresses.  It was loud, messy, uncomfortable and exuberant - and that was just while I was there.  It was we the people, doing our best to act in the best interests of everyone.  It was wonderful to be a part of it.  And FERC now has a very clear idea of what is on the minds of the folks in this part of the country.


No comments:

Post a Comment