Remember - blog posts migrate downward, so the most recent post is at the top; the oldest at the bottom.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Civil Debate

I was a little distressed to see the headline on the front page of the Star – two days after the election - “Split county board could lead to clashes.” Of all the ways to characterize the new configuration in Cooperstown come January, this was not, perhaps, the most useful.

There will certainly be a new atmosphere at Board meetings; from a deficit of 5-7 (and, within the last year, 4-7), the Democrats will have an equal number of voices in debate. And although Republicans will have the advantage in weighted votes, the greater number, and variety, of Democratic voices will guarantee a new environment in the Board room on Wednesdays.

I think this is going to be a very good thing, but characterizing the new term as adversarial, rife with 'confrontation' and 'clashes,' can only make real progress much harder.

If there were no differences of opinion, there wouldn't be a need for democracy – or for government at all, actually. We expect those differences. They form the heart of the legislative process. Handled well, they lead to creative solutions to difficult problems.

I was not elected to sit quietly and listen; I'm not so good at that anyway. I will certainly join the debate, and make my points in no uncertain terms. However, the privilege I have been granted – to represent my neighbors in a democratic legislature – requires that I honor those citizens, and my fellow legislators, by acting with the utmost civility and respect. I suspect that this is the fundamental intent of all the County Reps, veteran and rookie, Republican and Democrat. Speculating on uncivil discourse which may never happen is in no one's best interest (although it makes better news than its opposite).

There's a lot of hard work to do. Let's go into the new term expecting not conflict and clashes, but lively and stimulating – and ultimately fruitful – debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment