Remember - blog posts migrate downward, so the most recent post is at the top; the oldest at the bottom.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Resume

If you want to hire someone for an important job, you need, among other things, to look carefully at resumes. No difference here; you should know what you're getting before you have to decide who to vote for. So here's me:

I live on Center St. in Oneonta, right next to Oneonta Creek, which was pretty exciting in early September. Until I retired in July of '09, I was the Director of Special Education for the Oneonta City School District. I was responsible for about 70 faculty and staff, and managed a budget in the millions. I also worked closely with a surprisingly wide variety of programs and agencies, including BOCES, the State Education and Health Departments, Medicaid, ARC Otsego, Springbrook, Catholic Charities and Otsego County Probation, Social Services, SPOA, and Children with Special Needs. Before I was an administrator, I was a School Psychologist for BOCES and OCSD; I've worked in Oneonta schools for over thirty years.

Although I'm retired, I have a part-time job leading tours at Hyde Hall, a historic mansion at the north end of Otsego Lake. I'm also the School Psychologist for Andes Central School. I have a life-long interest in history, government and politics; I've had a leadership position in many organizations, including the New York Ass'n. of School Psychologists. I've written grants, presented trainings in areas as diverse as church growth and ending hunger, and I once ghost-wrote a column for the Daily Star for Rep. Sherwood Boehlert!  In my youth, I spent nine summers working at Boy Scout Camp, ending up as Ass't. Reservation Director.  I also taught a couple of Special Education courses at SUCO as an Adjunct Lecturer.

I've been married to Abbey for 32 years; she's a preschool Special Education teacher, and we have two sons, Randall and Whitsun. Randall's away at college; Whitsun is a senior at OHS, and attends the Visual Arts program at OAOC. I like to join my family in hiking, geocaching, kayaking and other outdoor activities. Indoors, I like to read and write, and I've been acting and directing in school and community theater, often with other members of the family, for almost longer than I can remember. I've also traveled extensively with my family, and I hope to keep doing all of this.

That's probably more than you wanted to know about me. Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment